Juan Mata has established himself as one of the most respected players in the world. Manchester United did not hesitate to make him their new star after his successful spell at Chelsea, where he was named the best player in two consecutive seasons. Two FA Cup titles, two Europa League and especially the Champions League (2011-12) attest his talent.
Juan has played for top teams like: Real Madrid, Valencia, Chelsea and Manchesger United. The midfielder is also part of one of the best teams in the history of football. With Spain he contributed to win the 2010 World Cup and Euro 2012 (with a goal scored at the final against Italy).
He has been captain of Man United in more than one occasion and he has won the Champions League, the Europa League (twice), the Copa del Rey and the FA Cup (also twice).
His success have crossed the boundaries of the pitch. Close and charismatic, Juan Mata has earned the respect and affection of all, showing himself as a close person and interactive with the millions of fans who support him on his social networks. Juan Mata co-founded Common Goal in 2017 with the aim to form a lasting connection between football as a business and football as a tool for social change. He was the first player to commit to pledge (a minimum of) 1% of his salary to high impact football for good organisations.
In September 2019 Juan Mata published his first book. ‘Suddenly a footballer’ tells the career of the Manchester United’s player in first person. But it’s not a mere story of his career and successes. Football is only his excuse to speak about personal things and expose reflections that go beyond sport.
Juan always has time for benefitial causes. Unicef, Save the Children and Aldeas Infantiles are some of the projects in which he participates.
Career as a player
- 2002-03. Real Oviedo
- Real Oviedo lower categories
- 2003-07. Real Madrid
- Professional debut in Spanish Second Division with Real Madrid Castilla
- Europe Champion U-19 with Spanish Team (Poland 2006)
- 2007-11. Valencia
- Spanish Cup Champion. 2007-08
- Debut with the Spanish Team
- FIFA World Cup Champion in South Africa 2010
- 2011-14. Chelsea
- Europe Champion U-21 with Spanish Team (Denmark 2011)
- UEFA Champions League Champion 2012
- FA Cup Champion 2012
- Europe Champion with the Spanish Team (Poland and Ukraine 2012)
- Europa League Champion 2013
- 32 goals and 58 assists in 135 games with Chelsea
- 2014-Nowadays. Manchester United
- FA Cup Champion 2016
- Community Shield Champion 2016
- EFL Cup Champion 2017
- Europa League Champion 2017
- More than 50 goals and 50 assists for Manchester United
- Best player of the European U-19 Championship (Poland 2016)
- Laureus award for the Best Team in 2010 (Spanish Team)
- Asturias Prince award of the Sports 2010
- Honorary Athlete award of the Politécnica of Valencia University 2010
- Gold medal of the Royal Football Federation of the Principality of Asturias
- Best Player of the European U-21 Championship (Denmark 2011)
- Bronze Boot of the European U-21 Championship (Denmark 2011)
- Best Asturian athlete 2011
- 2 Gold ‘Futbol Draft’ award and 1 Bronze ‘Futbol Draft’ award
- Chelsea best player. 2011-2012 and 2012-2013
- Player of the month in Premier League (october 2012)
- Included in the Ideal XI of the Premier League in the 2012-13 season
- MVP in the FA Cup Final. 2011-2012
- ‘Goal of the year’ with Manchester United for his goal against Liverpool (2014/2015)